About Settlement

What are the residency requirements for permanent residents?
What are the requirements for becoming a Canadian citizen?
What is the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP)?
Understanding Health Care in Ontario
Understanding Tax System in Canada
Getting to Know about Free English Courses
Understanding Education System in Ontario
Understanding Senior Benefits
Understanding Employment Insurance in Ontario
Understanding Child Benefits

About Family

How is child custody determined?

In Canada, the Family Law says that both parents have the same right to raise their children and to make decisions about how they take care of their children in most cases. If you want to get a divorce from your spouse and apply for custody at the same time, you can make your custody application under Divorce Act. To seek more legal advice, please find a family lawyer or family law legal clinic in your local community. Also, you can visit websites which provides with information on family law as follows:

I’m in Canada without legal status. If I leave my husband or partner, could I be deported to my country without my children?

If your relationship broke down because your spouse abused or neglected you or your children, you can apply for an exception to conditional permanent residence. To get more information, please contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) at 1-888-242-2100 or visit the links the below:

Also, an immigration lawyer can help you decide what the best option is for your situation.

I decided to leave an abusive relationship. How can I find a safe place for my child and myself?

You can find organizations and call women’s help lines which provide services and referrals for victims of domestic violence. Please visit websites below;

211 Ontario

Assaulted Women’s Helpline

Toll-free: 1-866-863-0511 / Toronto area: 416-863-0511
Toll-free TTY: 1-866-863-7868 / Toronto area TTY: 416-364-8762
#SAFE: #7233 on your Bell, Rogers, FIDO, or Telus mobile phone

Women’s shelter Central Intake (416-338-4786) / Central Family Intake (416-397-5637)


I left my abusive relationship because I could no longer endure her husband’s abuses. However, he has been threatening to take my children from me. I don’t know how I should deal with this issue.

Many abusers threaten victims with their children after their spouse or partners left them. Therefore, you need to find a lawyer to seek legal advice about your situation. If you have limited income and cannot afford a lawyer, you can visit community legal clinics and duty counsel at courts and tribunals. For more information on finding a lawyer, please visit this sites

If I were separated from my spouse more than 1 year, could I automatically get a divorce?

To find specific information on getting a divorce in Ontario, please visit these websites below;

I need a lawyer to seek legal advice but can’t afford it. How can I get support?

You can get legal assistance from Legal Aid Ontario. For more information, please visit the websites. Or, call the LAO client service centre at 1-800-668-8258 or 416-979-1446. The TTY numbers are 1-866-641-8867 and 416-598-8867.


Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt